The Advantages of The Storage Shield Protection Plan
According to the Self-Storage Association, one out of every 10 households in America rents a self-storage unit. That means 10.8 million Americans are comfortable that their possessions are safe, secure, and well protected at their local self-storage facility. Despite these precautions, you want to be prepared for anything. Self-storage insurance is important, but a tenant protection plan adds another level of security to your belongings. Read further to learn about the new Storage Shield Protection Plan.
What is the Storage Shield Protection Plan?
The Storage Shield Protection Plan is not insurance, but is a tenant protection plan. A tenant protection plan is a contractual agreement between the facility and the tenant, with the facility assuming limited responsibility for the tenant’s belongings while they are stored in a locked unit. In other words, operators agree to pay customers for damages to belongings up to a specified dollar amount.
Pinnacle Storage Properties has produced and implemented the Storage Shield Protection Plan for the benefit of their Storage Plus self-storage tenants. Four plan options are offered, and fees are collected with monthly rent.
The plan offers advantages that you don’t see in conventional insurance coverage.
Benefits of the Storage Shield Protection Plan
Storage Shield provides loss protection from:
- Theft due to forcible entry
- Fire, smoke, lightning, or explosion
- Commercial property
- Water damage from a leaking roof or broken pipe (up to protection plan limits)
- Furs, antiques, works of art, and consumer electronics
Additional items protected by Storage Shield are:
- Cars, boats, jet skis, RVs, motorcycles, and quads stored inside units
- Document re-creation costs (up to protection plan limits)
- Moth, insect, rodent, or vermin damage up to $500
- Jewelry up to $500
Customers will be reimbursed at replacement cost for their damaged or stolen property (clothing and household linens are subject to depreciation). Protection plan fees are conveniently collected with the monthly rent, and there are no deductibles.
What’s Not Protected?
As with all protection plans, there are some situations in which damages are not covered by Storage Shield.
- Loss due to flood damage
- Damage caused from dropping or moving property in and out of a storage room
- An improperly packed room resulting in damaged belongings
- Mysterious disappearance
- Any property stored outside a locked storage room, including RV’s, cars, boats
With the Storage Shield Protection Plan, you’re guaranteed an extra layer of safety for your possessions. Stop by any Storage Plus location to discuss your Storage Shield Protection Plan fees and options with the management staff.